Saturday, April 28, 2007

week 8, lecture week 7 on games

So, Adam took week 7's lecture on video games studies. I'll admit that I'm not really a fan of video/computer games. When I was younger and got a playstation, I used to love playing crash bandicoot, but that was years ago. However, I can't deny how hugely popular they are. I see lots of men, boys and sometimes women and girls playing them for hours at a time, so obviously I can appreciate that they have their appeal. The lecture was probably the first time I've actually considered games to be a form of communication. It's interesting to think that one day they probably will be viewed in the same way we now look at newspapers. And of course with so many technological advances, it's a whole other thing to think about the potential games have. Especially to think that the army uses some games to train soldiers! That goes to show the significant role they play. The tute tasks for this lecture were to check out the games on the net. I went to Activeworld. Seeing that made it so obvious to me how games are actually forms of communication. I mean, direct communication with other people. You create your own character and world, and then chat to other people that have done the same. And as conversation is such a basic and obvious form of communication, coupled with the fact that these things like Activeworld are new technologies, games fit nicely into the whole 'new communication technologies' thing!
til next time!

No comments: